Nashville is back on daylight saving time, and the first day of spring is coming up soon--March 20. You've likely seen the first daffodils, crocuses, and tulips, too. Even though the temps are still hitting the 30s many nights, now is the time to be thinking about what should go in your ground after the threat of frost is gone. Some hardy flowers can even be planted now, if you so choose. Here are some general spring planting rules to keep in mind:
Plant after the last spring frost.
"Harden" off indoor grown transplants by slowly acclimating the plants to the outdoor weather.
Put outdoor grown transplants in the ground as soon as the ground can be worked. The soil shouldn't be frozen, wet, or muddy.
Bare root plants can be planted as soon as the ground can be worked.
And here are 5 great flowers to plant in Nashville this spring:
1) Verbena. "[These]are true garden performers," reports Southern Living. "Covered with flowers all season long, they won’t break apart or get bald spots. They are great mixers―use them in beds, containers, hanging baskets, and window boxes."
2) Forsythia. The hardy forsythia bears long, arching branches with golden blooms.
3) Pansies. This annual is often the very first flower you'll find at your garden center in late winter. Pansies burst into bloom with the first warm days of spring.
4) Salvia. Actually a member of the mint family, salvia produces spikes of small, densely packed flowers atop aromatic foliage. These heat- and drought-tolerant beauties bloom from early to late summer in shades of blue, violet, red, pink, and white.
5) Zinnia. Plant zinnias in full sun in a spot that gets good air circulation. Feed regularly and snip off faded flowers to keep new ones coming. These are among the easiest plants to grow from seed.
Remember to pay close attention to flowering plant descriptions, which will tell you light and moisture requirements. Happy spring planting!
Author:TJ Anderson Phone: 615-364-1530 Dated: March 15th 2013 Views: 5,427 About TJ: TJ Anderson is a Nashville Realtor with Benchmark Realty who's helped countless clients both buy a h...
View our latest blog posts in your RSS reader. Click here to access.
by TJ AndersonMy personal opinion on all things home renovation: Your
"T.J. is a top notch sales and service professional. I have bought homes in multiple states and dealt with a dozen real-tors and T.J. is the best of the bunch. I need three things from my real-tor: local knowledge, responsiveness, and honesty. T.J. is off the chart in all three areas. I follow his real-estate blog and regularly bounce market questions off of him. T.J. responded quickly and professionally to each and every question my wife and I sent his way. Ultimately T.J. talked my wife and I out of a not so good deal and advised us to wait a while before purchasing a second home (due to our situation not the market). I would not hesitate to recommend T.J. to anyone interested in Nashville real-estate. Form a first time home buyer to someone just new to the area you can't go wrong with this guy!"