by TJ AndersonFinding the right time to sell and/or buy a Nashville home is a tough juggle — I know that all too well personally and professionally.You’re weighing out your own schedule, the way
Your Place Deserves Better: 5 Resolutions for the Home
Lose weight, schmoozweight. You say that every year. How about resolving instead to make your house more of a home this year? Here are five ideas to get you started.
1) Organize. This is likely the most common home resolution and for good reason. An organized home can have a powerful effect on a homeowner. Professional organizer and author Christina Scalise says, “Organization isn't about perfection; it's about efficiency, reducing stress and clutter, saving time and money and improving your overall quality of life.” Break this ginormous job down into manageable tasks, like de-cluttering one room a month. Check out the IHeart Organizing blog for ideas.
2) Go for it. We all have things that we're hesitating--but really wanting--to do around the house (like painting the master bedroom charcoal gray or taking the doors off the kitchen cabinets). But hesitation will just make your house boring and impersonal and not representative of you. Instead, pick the weekend you'll knock off the task and take the risk and the time to make your vision come true. Worried that your DIY skills aren't up to the task? Do plenty of reading ahead of time and ask for help. Also, measure everything at least twice. See the DIY Network's website for inspiration.
3) Make it safe. I completely understand why safety gets kicked to the bottom of the priority list. None of your friends are going to exclaim over your new carbon monoxide detector, and you won't get to luxuriate in your brand new swimming pool fence or the no-slip bar in your shower or the child safety fence at the stop of your staircase. But these are the kinds of small investments that provide important safeguards for you and the ones you love.
4) Conserve. There are lots of easy ways to conserve energy and water use, giving your bank account and mother nature a break. Some ideas: seal and insulate your ductwork and install low-flow showerheads and toilets. Here are some more ideas to save on energy costs from This Old House.
5) Landscape. I don't know about you, but landscaping is one of the things I manage to put off year after year. This year, though, my resolution is to really plan out and then plant some serious curb appeal in my front yard. The HGTV website has some good landscaping ideas, as does the Better Homes & Gardens site.
Happy new year to you and your home!
TJ Anderson is a Nashville Realtor with Benchmark Realty who's helped countless clients both buy a home and sell a home in Nashville, Tennessee. He blogs about Nashville regularly, from Nashville-area....
Latest Blog Posts
by TJ AndersonAfter more than a year of construction, the new Madison Park Community Center, just north of Nashville, opened to the public on May 31, giving Madtown residents another reason to love
by TJ AndersonMilkshakes with an entire slice of cheesecake as a garnish. Ice cream cones hiding in giant tufts of cotton candy and candy crunchies. I’m not afraid of an over-the-top Nashville
by TJ AndersonIt’s still largely a seller’s market here in Nashville real estate, and it has been for some time. Which can sometimes make buying a home in Nashville a little more complicated,