by TJ AndersonI’m prone to sharing my thoughts about the best places are to buy furniture in Nashville. About 99 percent of the time, those suggestions are locally bred Nashville shops, like
Great Tips For A Tidy Home
This Apartment Therapy post yesterday got me thinking about the best ways to keep a house picked up. It seems like an impossible task; as soon as you get the kitchen sparkling, there's another meal to fix, more dishes to do, more crumbs to sweep up, etc. According to the AT writer, who quizzed friends of hers whose homes are always immaculate, the secrets to tidiness are:
- Have drastically less stuff. Reduce down to the bare minimum of possessions. This makes sense, right? Fewer things in general means fewer things strewn about your house.
- Surf the internet less. In other words, waste less time, and you'll have more time to clean. Ugh.
- Clean fervently after making a big mess. Because life is no fun if you can't make a great big mess every once in a while without regard to what a pain it's going to be to clean up, this rule has it that every big party must be followed by an equaling big cleaning session the morning after.
- "I get very distracted while I'm cleaning, so I set a timer for 30 minutes. It helps me to stay focused, and I get more done in a short amount of time."
- "If you can clean only one room before company arrives, tackle the bathroom. This is the only room where people spend time solo and may have the time and tendency to notice a mess."
- "I follow two good tips: [Time spent cleaning] will fly if you listen to great music, and enlist your family's help."
- "The best household cleaning tip I can give is find someone else to do it."
- "During the week, the rooms that matter most to you are the ones to keep neat. If you worry about all the rooms all the time, you'll spread yourself thin."
- Before bed, do all the dishes and wipe down the kitchen counter tops. I will even start a half-empty dishwasher just to have a clean slate in the morning.
- Pick up anything that's landed on the floor. Either put it in its place or stash it in a basket.
- Don't go to bed without cleaning off the coffee table or dining room table--both places that tend to collect lots of crap.
- In the morning, make up any unmade beds.
TJ Anderson is a Nashville Realtor with Benchmark Realty who's helped countless clients both buy a home and sell a home in Nashville, Tennessee. He blogs about Nashville regularly, from Nashville-area....
Latest Blog Posts
by TJ AndersonThere’s sure been a lot of talk about Amazon over the past few weeks… But let’s focus on what might affect us here in Nashville — specifically, the Nashville real estate market
by TJ AndersonIf you live in Nashville, or you like country music, or if you ever venture onto the internet, you’ve surely seen the hot breaking news: Country star Miranda Lambert reportedly
by TJ AndersonPhoto: Slow Hand Coffee + BakeshopMost of the best celebrations have an accompanying cake — birthday cakes, wedding cakes, housewarming cakes… (That might not be a thing, but it