by TJ AndersonWe work on new-construction and renovation projects in Nashville all the time, so home design concerns — paint colors, tile choices, kitchen finishes — are a big part of my life
Something from Nothing: 5 of the Best Uses for a Pallet
Talk about an affordable home decor trend ... This one literally costs nothing, as a pallet or two can usually be found leaning against a dumpster, stacked along the side of a store or outside the Nashville Farmer's Market. Another good source for pallets: the Nashville Craiglist "Free Stuff" page. (FYI, if you are paying for your pallets, something ain't right ...)
As the DIY pallet project has spread like wildfire over the web, I can't help but thinking that plenty of DIYers, in their excitement, have made some missteps and undertaken some pallet projects that could be filed under "hideous" at worst or "unfortunate" at best. There are, however, some pallet projects that make a lot of sense and turn out fabulous; I tend to think that pallets look best repurposed in outdoor settings, though I have seen some pretty rad pallet headboards, too.
Here are five of my favorite reuses for a crummy old pallet:
1) The pallet as a bicycle rack: (Perfect for the back porch and for anyone with a family that likes to get out for lots of bike rides ...)
2) The pallet as a vegetable garden container: (I'm not much of a gardener. For those of you who are, would this be a good situation for the vegetables?)
3) The pallet as a coffee table: (Add a thick pane of glass and four wheels and you've got yourself a rad rustic coffee table.)
4) The pallet as a vertical garden container: (Again, there's something about filling these bad boys with dirt and stocking them with seeds that just seems right. I love the idea of building this succulent container, planting it inky black, and putting it on a deck.)
5) The pallet as a headboard: (Just have a look at Pinterest for lots of pallet headboards. This one's particularly well done.)
Do you like this DIY trend? If so, what's the best way you've seen a pallet reused?
TJ Anderson is a Nashville Realtor with Benchmark Realty who's helped countless clients both buy a home and sell a home in Nashville, Tennessee. He blogs about Nashville regularly, from Nashville-area....
Latest Blog Posts
by TJ AndersonI’m fascinated by studies that show the most popular stuff in America, broken down state by state. And call it comfort food, but I love how I’m rarely surprised by the most popular
by TJ AndersonOn the cultural spectrum, Nashville has an astoundingly broad mix to offer — the run of fun honky-tonks on lower Broadway, a world-class Symphony, a top-notch dining scene, a killer